Thursday, February 10, 2011

Too Much is Too Much

What does it say about a town when a small laundromat can not be a viable business in the town?

One thing I have come to realize, spending extended time in coffee shops, stretching out a coffee or tea for hours, and listening to the conversations around me, is that there are far more people in financial difficulty than one would realize.  I can not tell you how many people I have heard talking about where their next mortgage or car payment is coming from and how work is slowing down, and on and on.  The funny thing is that more often then not these same individuals go on to brag about their latest purchase (Iphone, LED TV,...) or what they plan to buy next, and when they leave they hop into the newest car in the parking lot.

It's sad really.  One would think with all the economic disasters that have hit us, and the dour proclomations of politicians and economists, that people would exercise a little financial restraint.  That does not seem to be the case.  In fact this town I work in is jam packed with homes big enough to house a small army, golf course view mansions, and the businesses to support this lifestyle.  Excess is prevalent everyhwere I look.

On the other side of the coin, my time sitting around has allowed me to observe people and there are many who are definitely not part of that lifestyle but you would never know it.  Hence, no businesses like a laundromat, which it is hard not to make money on.

I think many of us live under the concept that "more is better."  Acquiring more though also demands more.  More time.  More Money. More work.  More stress....  Because there is essentially a balance to all life that "more" is often balanced out by less family time, less real joy, less relaxation and who know what else.  Personally I think that more for one person also means less for another person somewhere down the line but people in are society or so disconnected with the people and community around them they don't see the affects of their lifestyle.

My new mantra "More is not better.  Less is more."

As for my own personal balance, well I still haven't found it yet.  On the plus side, it was warm enough last night and will be again tonight that I won't have to run the car to stay warm, so that saves a few dollars.  The negative side is that sleeping in the cramped space in the car has left my shoulder almost completely useless and the stress of this situation has my right side almo completely numb.  Mentally though I seem to be in a better place, though my heart still feels like it's been crushed by a herd of horses.  Now if only I can find a laundromat!

2 comments:

  1. Hey C.O.M,
    Iv'e discovered your blog quite accidentally, im really not much into hardship voyerism. Fact is, there was a time a few years ago where i was where you are currently. Anyway, the point of this mssg is this,a couple of the larger truck-stops in Calgary offer hot showers and laundry facilities. Can come in handy when a fella is living out of doors so to speak. Your writing is thoughtfull, balanced and well delivered. You obviously are an individual who maintains a bit of pride in displayed intellect.This alone should be of great asset to you in this trying personal time. Don't give up beyond allowing yourself some healthy and appropriate grieving time. If you find this mssg intrusive, i apologise, that is not my intent.I simply feel my past through your current circumstance.For the record, a little percevierence and the kindness of an individual facilitated a full rebound for me. It will happen for you as well,if you make it so.
    I look forward to your next posting.
    A circumstantial alumni.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey COM, there's a little widget at the top right corner of this page, it indicates that over 1600 times, people have thought about you, wondered how you were and wanted to check your progress. If only HALF of those folks are well meaning, thats still over 800 to the good. Dont let the Little people and theire hurtfull ways overshadow the sun thats coming from those that mean well. Not fair to you, not fair to us. Hope you find it in your heart to make your back. Alot of us are waiting and wondering
    Circumstantial Alumni.

    ReplyDelete