Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Change of Direction

This blog, until this point, has dealt largely with the challenges I have faced during a transition period in my life. It has been a reach out for help, for myself, and for others I care about. In the process it has apparently helped others in similar situations. I hope it continues to do that, and for that reason it is time to change direction.
For those of you who think I am abandoning my fight, you are probably right. But it really isn't my fight anymore. We have reached a point where everybody is responsible for their own choices. Me, I choose to move on and not let lawyers waste away my time or money. The past is the past and there is nothing I can do to change that. Did I get my tools and personal assets back? I think that they will come to me in time but I am not going to waste away time or money on lawyers. I hope cooler heads prevail.
One of the benefits of being single is the time it affords me for writing, which has always been a passion of mine. Whether it is writing a rant about something that I have taken issue with, or a story, or novel, or just a poem, I love to write. I look forward to this opportunity to indulge myself in this passion.
As for rants about things that tick me off, Lord knows there are a million of them, but topping my list today are because lawyers. When people go to lawyers it is usually because they are in some kind of trouble already. My experience is that rather than really offer help, lawyers see every case as an opportunity to one-up their competitor, a game of brinksmanship, and its the clients that end up paying for it, and the non-lawyers suffering. Is there not another way to deal with this stuff rather than spending thousands of dollars fighting over nothing.
I will admit I got sucked into this game. It was apparently a great lawyer that was recommended to me. That great lawyers plan - litigate until people couldn't afford to litigate anymore. Sure there may be no winners in the end after all the bills are paid but everybody would at least be starting in the same position when it was all over.
What kind of crap is that? Are there no morals in law and litigation? If there are I haven't seen them. I am not going to play that game. It's not worth it. If I never do business with another lawyer it will be too soon.
I have blogged about how it is the people that are important in life, not the things. Time for me to start living what I preach.
I do know that there are about a billion lawyer jokes out there but this one hit home for me today.

10 Husbands, Still a Virgin
A lawyer married a woman who had previously divorced ten husbands.

On their wedding night, she told her new husband, "Please be gentle, I'm still a virgin."

"What?" said the puzzled groom.

"How can that be if you've been married ten times?"

"Well, Husband #1 was a sales representative: he kept telling me how great it was going to be.

Husband #2 was in software services: he was never really sure how it was supposed to function, but he said he'd look into it and get back to me.

Husband #3 was from field services: he said everything checked out diagnostically but he just couldn't get the system up.

Husband #4 was in telemarketing: even though he knew he had the order, he didn't know when he would be able to deliver.

Husband #5 was an engineer: he understood the basic process but wanted three years to research, implement, and design a new state-of-the-art method.

Husband #6 was from finance and administration: he thought he knew how, but he wasn't sure whether it was his job or not.

Husband #7 was in marketing: although he had a nice product, he was never sure how to position it.

Husband #8 was a psychologist: all he ever did was talk about it.

Husband #9 was a gynecologist: all he did was look at it.

Husband #10 was a stamp collector: all he ever did was... God! I miss him! But now that I've married you, I'm really excited!"

"Good," said the new husband, "but, why?"

"You're a lawyer. This time I know I'm gonna get screwed!

2 comments:

  1. I think this is love and care for your wife speaking more than common sense. Are there not things that are yours you want back. I know you don't want to create more bills and legal issues for her but if she has a lawyer you need one. Some people just can not find their way to commense sense and doing what is morally right in these situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I can understand you not wanting to screw her over with a lawyer, but at least get your bike back. That is all you have left of your mother's estate and you love that thing. If she cared about you at all she will not take that on you.

    ReplyDelete