Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Impromptu Phone Experiment

   Here is my motorcycle advice for the day. If you are going to carry your cell phone in your pocket do one of three things; make sure it is off, or make sure the keyboard lock is on, or make sure it is in a pocket in which keys are not going to get randomly pushed without your knowledge!!!
   If you haven't figured out where this is going, let me tell you. I for some strange reason placed my blackberry in my front pocket as I hopped on my bike for a quick hop of to the gas station. Now my phone rarely rings, but by the time I pulled into the service station it was vibrating away like crazy. I pulled it out to find multiple messages from people asking if everything was okay in one way or another. Many of the messages came from people I rarely talk to. This had me totally baffled. What did they know that I didn't?
   A little digging revealed that while I was cruising down the highway my phone had somehow had the right set of keys pushed to send out a text message consisting of a sad face and an angry face to many of the people on my contact list. For those on my list I do apologize for this, but it did turn out to be an interesting experiment of sorts. Of the numerous text messages my pocket sent out I got responses from only a few who were concerned about me and the contents of the text they just received. A couple of the responses came from people clear across the country and a couple from people I may have only spoken to a time or two. What was more telling was the ones who did not respond. Curious results to this impromptu experiment and I am still not quite sure how to interpret the results but I would like to say a deep thanks to those who responded with concern.

On a different subject, part of moving forward in my life is developing some new, healthy habits.  In the process of researching this I came across Zen Habits Blog .  It is worth taking a look at as you tour the internet.

1 comment:

  1. I am pleased to see you are moving on and some healthy habits are developing. I, also being somewhat of a hermit understand the definitions of isolation and yet the need for contact. You are an interesting person. Although you will always miss the chapters in your that have passed, remember there are new experiences to take up that space in your heart and brain. Let go to Gain.
    Take good care,
    jurneez

    ReplyDelete